Sunday, November 11, 2007

Finances

I researched the Wal-mart $4 prescriptions program. Looks like we have a couple of meds on that they cover but some of them aren't cost effective to buy at Wal-mart. My prozac would be cost effective to buy at Wal-mart though. I'm paying $200 every 3 months for that prescription through mail order. If I paid $4 per month I'd only be paying $12 for that same three month period. That's a huge savings. I'll take my list of prescriptions to Wal-mart and see what they cover and how much they would cost (there's a note on the Wal-mart Pharmacy page that prescription costs may be higher in Colorado). I'm looking to save money anywhere that I can. Most of what we spend seems fixed, but I'm realizing that not everything is as it appears with the finances. There is a lot more wiggle room than I imagined there would be.

I haven't heard anything from Vonage yet about my refund. I'm going to call them tomorrow and check on it. I know they received the equipment because I paid for delivery confirmation. I'd like to get my $80 as soon as possible. I had to pay them immediately but they seem to drag their feet on refunding me my money. It's already been six days since they received the package and I haven't heard anything. That is frustrating. And I won't see why deposit refunded from Qwest until December of '08. I should however see my $300 credit on the next bill. That will help out a lot. All the phone stuff is so expensive through Qwest but because I want DSL I have to go with Qwest. And now we're locked into contracts on the wireless phones and DirecTV. I hate contracts like that. It's expensive to get out of them too. Oh well, it's the price we pay for wanting technology.

I've been up since 6:30am. It's almos 8am now. David is still in bed. He said last night that he probably wouldn't go into work today. I'm sure he's tired of working every day. We really could use the OT $ though. Of course, I can't really talk because I'm not even sure I'll be able to hold down a job, even part-time. I really don't mind if he doesn't work today. He deserves a day off.

My easel didn't sell again on eBay so I'm going to give it to Lisa. Either she'll use it or she'll let them use it at the boy's school. At least it will get used and not just sit around gathering dust.

I want to get a month ahead on bills after we fund the BEF. I won't feel comfortable trying to pay off debt if I'm worried about paying bills. DR says to be current with all bills and for me current means being a month ahead. It'll take a few months to get there but it will be worth the sacrifice. I'll still pay the family loan off first though. I don't want that hanging over our heads any longer than it has to. It would be nice to be able to pay off the bills in Jan with November's income but we're not there yet. Right now we're still living paycheck to paycheck. But at least we have a working budget and everything is accounted for. We're just going to have to stick to the budget as much as possible. Spending $30 a month on the AFM program will really help out with the grocery budget. I hope it works out to do it.

I should look at selling the games we never use (except the NHL Monopoly). I could pick up an extra few bucks there. And this might be a great time to sell them since we're coming up on Christmas. Think I'll research prices and see how much I could sell them for.

No comments: