Thursday, October 11, 2007

Confession time

Here's something I posted over on the DR board:

Don't they say that confession is good for the soul? I wish my STUPID had only been $400. I know too that today, for me, that would be a huge amount of money but when I look at what I've done in the past, it's not so bad. In 1993 I was in a car accident. Other guys fault. A year later I got a settlement for $75,000.00. Yes, seventy five THOUSAND dollard! I paid off my husband's debt from his first marriage and blew the rest of it. Didn't invest a penny. STUPID. Fast forward to 2004. I received a settlement from my company for being 'let go' while I was on disability. $90,000.00. Yep, NINETY thousand dollars! Again, I paid off the new debt we had accumulated (hadn't learned anything in the intervening years) and blew the rest of it. I can't even account for how I spent it all. STUPID. Now zoom to 2006. DH withdraws $140,000 from his 401(k) emptying it out. He was trying to make up for lost time with his son so he bought a second home that we all could live in and fix up. All the money is gone. The kids move out of state and now the house has been foreclosed on. STUPID. Then we found DR. The only smart thing we've done in 20 years. :-) But it was a month after we had spent $1500.00 filing for bankruptcy (if we could come up with the $1500 how come we had to go bankrupt? ~looks confused~). STUPID. Now it might seem like I'm being hard on myself but I'm not. I'm actually laughing as I type this. I can't believe the things I've done in the last 20 years. If only I'd known better. But I didn't. Hopefully $400 doesn't seem like such a bad thing now. Give yourself a break. If I can cut myself some slack, you should too. Hope you're feeling better by now.

No comments: